Club History


The New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club was organized December 15, l876.  During the first six years, the Club facilities were located at Jackson Avenue and Prytania Street.  Included in the facilities were three courts.  The rental was $150 a year.
The Club was incorporated in 1890, and in 1891 leased a square of ground bounded by Foucher, Dryades, and Amelia Streets.
In 1897, a land company was organized for the purpose of purchasing fifteen lots situated in the square bounded by Saratoga, Marengo, General Taylor, and South Franklin Streets for the sum of $3,800.  The Club House, later improved, but still in existence, was erected in 1898 at a cost of $1,500.  The New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club leased the property from the land company in 1898 for a period of ten years, with the option to purchase at the expiration of the lease.  The annual rental was $480.  The option to purchase was exercised in 1908.  The financing was arranged by Leigh Carrol and Andre W. Seguin. The first Club tournament was held in 1898, and the first champion was G.W. Watham. In 1901, the Club inaugurated the Gulf States Tournament, which is still very popular today, and is the oldest of the Southern sanctioned tournaments.  Many outstanding players from all sections of the country have played in this great event.
In 1924, the Club House was remodeled and the first clay courts were built.  For almost 50 years the Club had used grass courts exclusively.

In 1926, the New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club won nine Southern championships, comprised of all classes of the tournament, which was held at the New Orleans Country Club.  Never before in the history of Southern Tennis had one club held nine Southern championship titles at one time.
Since then, the Club has grown and prospered. With the ever increasing popularity of tennis, both as a player and as a spectator sport, an important step forward in the history of the Club was reached when, in 1971, it was decided by the membership to build a new and larger facility. The new location was to be at the corner of Laurel Street and Jefferson Avenue in uptown New Orleans. By late 1972, construction began and the Club House was completed in the fall of 1973.

The Club consists of twelve rubico courts lighted for night play, a 75' by 35' swimming pool and a Club House.  The ground floor of the Club House consists of an informal lobby, business offices, grill, pro shop and the men's, women's, junior boys' and junior girls' respective locker rooms.

The second floor consists of management offices, a fitness center, and a main club room.  Three sides of the second floor are surrounded by balconies overlooking the tennis courts and the swimming pool.
With the completion of this outstanding facility, the New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club continues to grow and has secured its rightful place in the social and recreational life of New Orleans.


The New Orleans Lawn Tennis Club is dedicated to the enjoyment of its facilities by its members, their families and their friends.